Saturday 16 March 2013

Miami Vice {a quilt top}

It has been very hot here in Auckland so I haven't wanted to spend much time with my sewing machine. I have however, been happily sewing together 16 patch squares.


In my head I call this my Miami Vice quilt because of the colour palette. Once upon a time I bought some Oakshott shot cottons but when they turned up I was never really in love with the colours. First I tried some hexies:


But I wasn't really feeling the love. So everything went into the cupboard until I saw this quilt over at Red Pepper Quilts. I like the way the colours look together now, so as far as the top goes, it is a happy outcome.
I am tempted to back the quilt with this lovely fabric but its voile. Which gives me the fear. Big time. 


Will a can of 505 basting spray and a million pins do the the trick? Or is it going to slip and slide and cause a lot of bad words around the place?? Adrianne told me that she backed a quilt with voile and that it went together ok. Mmmm. Will keep you posted.


4 comments:

  1. A lovely quilt. 505 should do the trick

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very soft and pretty. Good luck with the voile. Have never sewn with voile so no tips, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think voile backing would be lovely. I've found it quite tricky but I'm not very good! try starch as well?

    ReplyDelete