Monday 18 February 2019

Tree making

I spent some time over the weekend making a test tree from the pattern Painted Forest by Blue Nickel Studios. Some of you might be familiar with the many lovely versions of this pattern that are on IG:



I have in mind a vague idea of a wall hanging that I want to make which only needs one of these trees in it. I couldn't quite visualise the dimensions of it, so used a bunch of scraps to make this:


This tree is fourth from the left in the top row of the pattern. Although I was just using scraps from my scrap bin, not worrying too much about the overall effect, I can see a few things I would prefer to do differently next time.

  • The branches and stems are probably best in a solid fabric, or something that reads as nearly solid, they get a bit lost in my version.


  • A smaller scale print probably works best for the 'leaves'. In the pattern and the versions I have seen, the forest idea is clear because there are so many trees included, but I think I will go for a bit more contrast between tree and background. 


So overall, a worthwhile experiment I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment