Wednesday 26 June 2013

Tula Pink's City Sampler blocks

Not so long ago Tula Pink's latest book Tula Pink's City Sampler 100 Modern Quilt Blocks turned up in my mailbox. I'm not normally drawn to sampler quilts - they tend to look a bit busy for me. However, I liked the look of the blocks enough to buy the book regardless.

I have no real plan as yet - I decided to start by flicking through the book and make the blocks that grab me and see how I go. I have a charm park (Prince Charming) and other odds and ends of TP fabric. I'm going to keep to a fairly limited colour palette at this stage - I really like the 'Sliding Scale' setting at the back of the book so I might aim for something like that.


The book is really pretty. I can see myself spending ages looking at the pictures trying to decide what to make. I have started by staying quite close to blocks in the book, but I know that wont last once I get going. I think Tula has been very clever designing quite simple but effective blocks with lots of scope for fussy cutting and making the most of fabric detail.



6 comments:

  1. HEART.

    Parisville too, eh?! I've just started on that hunt but had a fabric budget blowout on liberty at fabric.com. Next week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blocks and perfect fussy cutting! I think it's one of the prettiest books I've seen in a while - even my Mum (not a patchworker at all) pored over it for over an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are looking great Megan. I like your use of solids in the blocks which keeps them bright and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the quilting in the blue block. You should try some of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are looking great and I agree - there's just something special about these simple little blocks!

    ReplyDelete