Sunday, 13 January 2019

100 day project {update}

I'll probably only post a few updates about my 100-day project along the way, but thought 16 seemed like a nice even number for an initial photo. I've had to get a few days ahead because I'm away for work this week.

I've really enjoyed the process so far. The blocks are usually quick to make - I like the way I can make something simple or something that takes a little longer depending on how I feel. 
Sometimes I feel like making something a bit fiddly and precise:

Other times I improvise, cutting shapes or scraps and seeing where I end up:

I was working on another quilt at the same time this week so I used a couple of blocks that were in that quilt as a reminder of the other project:

Tuesday, 1 January 2019

New Year's Day 2019

It's a new year!
I see it is just a little over two years since I last posted anything here, that's Instagram for you. I have decided that 2019 will see a return to the blog for me. I miss having a record of my thinking as I make.

I thought I would start the new year with a small 100 Days project. I put together a pile of jewel-bright fabrics and plan to make a 4.5" block a day for the next 100 days. The rules are very few. No unpicking. No deciding something is ugly and putting it in the bin. No fussing about colour placement. Any block goes; improv, fiddly, straight lines, or curves.

I've cut a pile of fabric for small borders as well so that busier days ahead are accounted for. I'm using an Alison Glass Sun Print for the borders - it has tiny birds and insects on it which you can see if you look carefully. It's a really nice neutral which I have used in a few projects now.

Day One:

Tuesday, 8 November 2016

Ginger Crush {A finished quilt}

I started the Ginger Crush BOM organised through Treehouse Textiles in 2015 and although I had finished it by about April this year, it took me a while to find a backing and get it quilted. I'm really pleased with the final product. The colours are quiet but not washed out and the simple quilting gives it a soft snuggly texture. It fits perfectly on my bed, just in time for those hot summer nights when you just want something light over your sheets.

Sunday, 6 November 2016

Gypsy Wife {A finished quilt top}

Well fellow Gyspy-wifers, it's November, so some of you might be finishing up this month! I'm really pleased to have my second version complete and ready for quilting. Without further ado, here she is:

And if any of you are curious about what Gyspy Wife#1 looked like after quilting, here she is:

I have a box of scrap fabric from the version I have just finished, so I have plans to make another Jen Kingwell pattern 'Bonnie Lass' from her book Quilt Lovely. I'm thinking I might have to call the new quilt 'Gypsy child' :-)

Thanks to those of you who have stitched along with me and left encouraging comments. Thanks also to the awesome Hydeeann who did all the quilty maths and created the very helpful spreadsheets to supplement the pattern. High fives all round!

Sunday, 2 October 2016

Gypsy Wife:Section 10

I managed to miss the first of the month, but I figure that as NZ is ahead of most of the rest of the world, posting on the second of October won't hurt too much as the rest of the world catches up :-)

I'm pretty excited that I have finally caught up with the QAL, sections 8 and 9 are duly complete and I am ready to start the last part.

I went a little off-piste with these sections as I needed to incorporate some errors (that big block centre right has two borders instead of one, and I have two heart blocks) but I'm happy with it.

I hope anyone who is following along is similarly happy with their progress, the end is in sight!

Thursday, 1 September 2016

Gypsy Wife Section 9

Hello fellow Gypsy Wife people! How did you get on with section 8? I've just got the star block to do and then I can move on to section 9. My aim this month is to get fully caught up with my own quilt along!

I was really pleased to finally finish section 6 and get a good large section of the quilt put together.

I've now got a little collection of 'oopsies' on my design wall. I.e blocks that have needed a bit of adapting because I read the pattern incorrectly and made them the wrong size, or out-takes from earlier sections. I stitched the heart block without paying attention to the rest of the quilt and realised that I would have two blocks right next to each other featuring that berry coloured AMH fabric, so I had to make another. I'm not going to waste the original though, I will find a home for it in the quilt somewhere...

To keep myself sane I've been pottering away on a completely different project in the background. I have started making EPP blocks using Lucy Kingwell's pattern Smitten. I am enjoying the pace and being able to pick up some quiet hand stitching whenever times allows it.

Monday, 1 August 2016

Gypsy Wife Section 8

Hi everyone!
How are you getting on with your Gypsy Wife??
I have finished section 7 but I still have quite a bit to do on section 6 so I am relieved to see that section 8 is quite a small section!

Three big blocks, a square in square and some strips - entirely doable! I started with From the Heart. Last time I made this block I felt the shape got lost a little bit because of my fabric choices, so this time I have kept it quite simple and gone for high contrast light and dark.

If you have just discovered this quilt along - welcome! Don't worry if you are ahead or behind, its a go-at-your-own-pace kind of affair. Check out Hydeeann's blog for lots of tips and her really useful spreadsheet which will help you keep on top of all those strips and pieces!

Happy sewing everyone. I hope that I can report that I have finished section 6 next month (fingers crossed!)