Saturday 2 November 2013

The Penny Patch QAL

I remember calling one of my posts not so long ago 'a thing for solids', and when I look back at the quilts I have made, I see solids have featured a lot.

But lately I have become more interested in quilts that have some depth and texture and find myself wanting to experiment with finding ways to explore that idea. I credit Alison over at Little Island Quilting for this change in direction, I'm just completely smitten by her quilts. I'm starting to see some different effects are made possible when you think about making a quilt that doesn't have any solids in it. Enter the scrappy Starburst quilt by Jen Kingwell, and now the Penny Patch.

Rachel at Stitched in Color has kindly created the Penny Patch QAL.  I loved the original colours in her Vintage Tangerine quilt and when she created a fabric stack that incorporated fabrics similar to the original fabrics she used, and I realised that I had quite a few of the fabrics in my stash, it seemed liked quilty destiny ;-) 







8 comments:

  1. This is going to look lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been tempted myself...and have been sorting teal & tangerine fabrics for this too!!! Yours look great!
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes between Alison and Cathy at Cabbage Quilts I think a whole "look" has been started. A lovely, shopping inspiring look. The best sort! Your blocks look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez, I thought I was just catching up by ordering lots of solids to explore that look. Now you've moved on again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be a really lovely quilt - I spied Rachel's QAL too and think it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness, have you ever nailed the colors in her original quilt with your own spin on it! I LOVE this!!! can't wait to see how it all comes out. i'm obsessed with the penny patch. I think this might be my favorite version so far. lovely!

    ReplyDelete