Friday 1 April 2016

Gypsy Wife {Colour Wheel)

I can't believe it's April already! Time to start a new section of Gypsy Wife!
I have changed my mind about the fabrics in section one and two  a couple of times, and I'm finally happy with how it is looking.


Sections 3 and 4 are pretty straightforward. Hydeeann has posted some thoughts about working with HSTs, and I'm going to share a couple of tips today about the Colour Wheel block.

There is nothing technically difficult about this block, the trick is to keep an eye on fabric placement - it is so easy to rotate the pieces when you move them to the machine.

I sewed the large and small triangles together as per the instructions, then laid the pieces out where I wanted them. You can see from the picture below it is easy to get the layout wrong but also easy to correct.



Then I sewed the small triangle pieces to the large triangle pieces.


At this point it becomes a simple nine-patch. Up until this point, I pressed the seams open on the back. When I joined the rows I pressed to the side so the seams would nest together. 

It's a pretty block - I'm looking forward to seeing the different versions appear on IG!


Hydeeann is hosting a linky party for sections 1&2. Follow her instructions below if you want to join in :-)




3 comments:

  1. I like the new block. Your quilt is is going to look lovely and refreshing with all those soft cool tones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful, Megan! As does the rest you've completed. Glad you got your colors down to where you want them. It's looking very pretty!
    You're right about the easy flip flop with this block. I remember having to unlock at least once. But other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the first block I had made, then I discovered the QAL - and thankfully because I would never have gotten very far without you and Hydee and the helpful hints, tips, and guidance!

    ReplyDelete