Wednesday 6 March 2013

Monday Modern bee quilt

I haven't thought of a name for this quilt yet, but let me present to you the completed bee quilt made by my Monday Modern group! I love the way this has turned out - even my mother, who I thought might scrunch up her face when she saw it, really liked it.


I wanted a quilt similar to this one over at Red Pepper Quilts, but more colourful. It is hard to capture the true colours of this quilt - the background is much darker in real life. It is a shot cotton so it really shimmers as you move it around in the light.


I made this wonky star to break up the plain back. I saw a star like this made by June a while back (she's a Modern Monday member) and thought it was quirky and just what I wanted on the back. Both the shot cotton and the Denyse Schmidt fabric on the back are really soft. I just did random straight line quilting trying to avoid quilting through a completely vertical 'slice' because I quilted in a dark thread to match the background. The photo below is a truer representation of the colour.






17 comments:

  1. The shot cottons are lovely. The quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks awesome - so simple and modern, but with vibrant colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt Megan! The quilting is perfect. It really came together beautifully!

    Reminds me of that kids game "Pick Up Sticks!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same thing! It reminds me of "pick up sticks".

    Very nice! I like how some of the blocks are just plain squares.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's fab. very modern in the style and the colours. Pick Up Sticks sounds like a great name

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I love this! And the back too! Hope you don't mind I shared on my AQT fb page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is AMAZING. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love some shot cottons! This quilt looks great. The wonky star on the back is so much fun. Thanks for stopping by WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It reminds me of that game pickup sticks where you would drop the sticks and then you had to try and get them one at a time without moving the other sticks. It's very pretty. Hopped over from WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first thing I thought of when I saw it on Monday night was 'Glowsticks'. It looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colours! What a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great - and nice to think I had a little part in it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...love this Megan.. The colours in it are gorgeous. Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! great to see the blocks alltogether, simply stunning! Linda

    ReplyDelete