Saturday 12 October 2013

Sewing therapy

Yesterday was a BAD day (cue moody music). First my car had to have some major surgery which cost big bucks and then I received an email letting me know that my thesis was not sent to my examiners until 5 weeks after I submitted it. This means that rather than the examiners' reports turning up any day now (which is what I was expecting) there is more anxious waiting for me until the beginning of November, and the high probability I won't get my oral exam done before the end of the year thus dragging a stressful process out even longer. Grrrrrrr.

What to do? I felt like sewing to unwind, but it had to be something easy-breezy-covergirl-like. I decided to start a new charity quilt using my favourite block - the 16 patch. I love making these because of their sweet little interlocking seams (cue birds singing).


And then there is the satisfying squareness of them, clean and simple. 


Do you have a favourite block to sew when you need some cheap therapy?




9 comments:

  1. Woah. I know your thesis should have sat on a velvet cushion to be admired and worshiped before it was marked, but 5 weeks seems excessive even for your brilliant work. I would need to buy a whole etsy store to get over that. Nice 16 patches, but!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I imagine if you were 5 weeks late, you would have failed! Ugh- that's awful! The 16 patch blocks are lovely! I don't have a specific 'cheap therapy' block....just sitting down at the machine relieves some of my tension!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flipping delays. I work in a university and have never understood these types of mess ups. Loving your therapy though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flipping delays. I work in a university and have never understood these types of mess ups. Loving your therapy though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flipping delays. I work in a university and have never understood these types of mess ups. Loving your therapy though

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5 weeks?! That's appalling, no wonder you were upset. One of my examiners had to be given an official hurry-up by the University (although only after I hassled them) but at least it was out there.

    I don't have a specific block that I like sewing for fun, I guess anything really simple and quick would do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ow - that is stressful. I hope the examiners can be nice and quick so that you can get it all wrapped up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see you started another WIP! I love sewing my scraps together improv style when I need some relaxation at the sewing machine (and when I can't face basting!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knit when I get stressed - only bcause I can watch TV at the same time... But love your blocks!

    ReplyDelete