Saturday 1 February 2014

QAYG charity blocks

Recently Alison at Little Island Quilts posted a request for help to make and send quilts to street children living in Mexico City. You can read more about this here and here. I know that Kiwis have a reputation for being generous when it comes to charity, so I'm thinking some of my NZ readers might want to get on board with this. Of course there are children living in poverty all around the world (NZ included) and quilts might seem an odd thing to give instead of the basics like food, clothing or fresh drinking water. But I believe that for children who literally have nothing, to have something, anything that is their own can be equally as nourishing, albeit in a different way.

The idea is simple. You make a 12.5"quilt block and quilt it. Alison will join the blocks together as she receives them and then has organised a way for the quilts to get to Mexico City. I realised that I had some orphan blocks that might do the trick - like this one:


And I also had a wonky star which has now been given the quilting treatment:


Alison thinks that scrappy log cabins will work quite well - I forgot about that part as I was hunting through my scraps and making another couple of blocks - but these are almost log cabins:



The backing gets quilted too (I think some people do QAYG slightly differently).


I'm posting these off in the next day or two, but if there are some lovely locals out there interested in making some blocks, I am happy for you to send them to me and I'll post them off with my next batch. Alternatively you can send them directly to Alison - if you let her know she will email you her address.






13 comments:

  1. It's so great to be able to make a difference in the life of a child in need. Your blocks look great. I'm sure they will bring joy and comfort to some little person or people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the wavy quilting lines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I saw this earlier today - lovely idea. QAYG just needs the 1/4 " left free around outer edges of each block, so that they can all be joined together. Will forward a few blocks onto you soon. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, this method doesn't need 1/4" left free around the edge so just go for it!

      Delete
  4. Thank you...still find it a wee bit sad that my Mexico posts have had the most views and the least amount of comments :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, great blocks! I love contributing to donation quilts. Our modern guild makes quilts for the local kids aging out of the foster care system. Very gratifying.

    I just discovered your blog and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your Wise Owl quilt from 2011. You weren't blogging then. Did you use a pattern or make your own? I was hoping you could tell us how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, you are a no reply blogger, but if you want to email me I can tell you what pattern I used and how I adapted it :-)

      Delete
  6. i agree with your idea that sometimes that one thing to own is also nourishing! everyone giving a piece of what they are good at is a lovely idea. this is a perfect home for your orphans - going to real orphans, likely. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous blocks and an even better cause!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do we send the blocks ?

    ReplyDelete