Saturday 5 July 2014

Aerial {a finished mini quilt}

I finished hand stitching the binding on my Aerial mini quilt last night. Yippee.


I didn't follow the pattern exactly. Sometimes I had to redraw some of the lines as I was going (it's paper pieced) because I had miscalculated the size of the fabric needed. I was using some small Oakshott pieces I had in my stash, so the design process was constrained by the concept of 'available fabric'.

I used a grey Aurifil for quilting, choosing one that went best with the grey frame and quilted it at 1/2" intervals. I marked a few lines first with my Hera marker to keep things reasonably straight, then just filled in the gaps using my walking foot as a guide.




You can see the quilting lines are not perfectly straight. The Oakshotts were a bit shifty after I had taken the paper off so I decided to have the same imperfection echoed in the quilting. (Do you like the way I make it sound like I have some control over how my quilting works out???)


I even made a little dowel system for hanging so its ready to go up on the wall in my office. The cat quilt currently there is going on a break :-)

15 comments:

  1. oh this is so striking! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful and a lovely use of your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's completely gorgeous and I love the backing as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this. Are you going to enter it into QuiltCon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going to be so pretty in your office. I agree with LIQ, enter it into QuiltCon!
    And, yes, I do like the way you make it all sound controlled: attitude is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Megan,
    I just found your blog and must say, I love your work! You have a beautiful way to use fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I love the splashes of oranges! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. quilt is so beautiful and amazing colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really beautiful. What is the backing fabric you used?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Este mini quilt es maravilloso! ;) Sil

    ReplyDelete
  11. The use of straightline quilting was perfect Megan - it really adds to the graphic nature of the design. Very cool piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Megan, I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this :-) Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, i do like the way you claim control over the outcome of your quilting. =) as a lady who is rubbish at straight lines (but can handle some stipple or orange peel just fine), i like your claim very much.

    lovely project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I quite love this :) I discovered you through Adrianne's feature on you... could you please add a "follow by email" choice? that is my easiest way to keep up with people :)

    ReplyDelete