Sunday 24 August 2014

Star blocks

I love star blocks, I return to stars again and again. When it was my turn to suggest a block for our block lotto at Monday Modern I made this one.


The pattern is from Clover and Violet but I saw it on Adrianne's blog (or perhaps it was IG). Adrianne later adapted the original pattern changing the proportions of the star a little and posted instructions for different sized blocks 12", 9" and 6" finished.

I was in the mood to make another star quilt so I have begun her adapted version. I'm loving the way it is looking so far!


I am continuing to make slow progress with Gypsy Wife. I have to concentrate when I am working on it so it's not conducive to evening sewing. Evening sewing now sometimes sees me practising hand quilting. I drew some lines to follow after my first free style attempts :-)


The back looks pretty bad. I'm not sure if the stitches are supposed to be the same size as those on the front but I have a sneaky suspicion the answer is yes.  




10 comments:

  1. Good news - the stitches on the back will always be smaller than those on the front - that's just how it works. People who do really fine quilting only just catch the fabric on the back, so yours are fine.
    I love the strong colours in those star blocks against the neutral backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your star blocks - what is the fabric top left in the first photo? Looking forward to hopefully seeing you at Rachel's next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your star blocks. Your hand stitching is looking great. My only suggestion for getting the back to look even better is to make sure your needle is going in perpendicular to the fabric every time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stars! And your stitching looks pretty perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stars... Love how they pop from the low volume background .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was very excited to hear I had won the block lotto blocks - I have since made 15 more to add to my winning pile. We might end up with matching quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trick is to used patterned fabric on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The star blocks look brilliant! Drawing the lines certainly makes it easier and don't worry about what the back looks like ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely bright stars, they look great against the scrappy backgrounds! I agree with Karyn, initially I used patterned backings while I practised. L

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been brave enough to hand quilt a quilt, but I think that they always look amazing. You'll see where you went wrong, but everyone else will think it's the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete