Saturday 22 September 2012

A little Honey

At our last meeting of Monday Modern Quilters we swapped fabric scraps, then someone suggested making something out of the scraps before our next meeting as 'homework'. I was going to say challenge, but we're not really a competitive group!

In the swap I got some fabric off cuts that had already been sewn together in pieces about 5inches wide. I cut them back to 4 inch pieces and decided to make a cushion cover trying out Elizabeth Hartman's 'Honey' pattern from Modern Patchwork.

Honey pieces

In the book you cut WOF strips of fabric and sew the white on as a strip.  I chain pieced the strips onto scrap pieces before cutting them into triangles.

Little triangles

I think it will make quite a nice cushion when its all done. I am determined to try out some FMQ on this cushion - just need to practise on some scraps first. So, if I present this cushion completed sometime in the future and it has straight line quilting on it, be sure to tell me off!!

Honey cushion top

7 comments:

  1. Great use of scraps! Good luck with the FMQ - It is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty!! I will be watching to see if the FMQ eventuates - only because you sound so like me! I always plan for FMQ but resort to the tried and true straight line quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh love that! Such a great use of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute! Hope you share with us tomorrow at QuiltStory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED seeing this! I want to make this quilt myself, it is fabulous. And how smart to make a cushion with it!

    ReplyDelete