Saturday 29 September 2012

Hexy Amy Butler

It's the end of a long school term. I have been practising my FMQ but so far the results are so so bad, no photographic evidence exists! In between the FMQ I have taken to hand stitching hexies. It is the perfect way to unwind in the evening. I was inspired by Karyn's gorgeous hexy quilt, but in true Megan fashion I'm not too sure how these will end up yet.

Single Hexy flower

I am using Amy Butler 'Cameo' for these flowers - I unpicked a few and took some of the fabrics in the collection out because it started to look a bit dark. I'm not sure what I will use in between the flowers yet, so any suggestions gratefully received!

Hexy flowers

5 comments:

  1. I love your hexies, maybe something dark in between to make the colours pop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh they are really pretty! Something simple like an Essex Linen or a Timeless Treasures Crosshatch sketch but I would use a light colour

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty - I like Lucy's suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making a hexi cushion using Cameo, too! Yours are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with FMQ! One thing I did try on my last attempt which I thought did actually help was leaving the feed dogs up instead of dropping them and not reducing the stitch length to zero. Contrary to most advice I know, but I came across the feed dog idea on someone's blog when they'd done it by accident and felt it had helped. I thought it made things move a bit more smoothly and there was less slow and fast extremes.

    Love the colours in your hexies! I'm not sure what to use inbetween - how about linen? I'm also wondering about a green - if you have a triad with pinky/red and blue then it's the other colour. Have a look at http://colorschemedesigner.com/, I think the leaf greens look really nice.

    ReplyDelete