Tuesday 13 August 2013

Cross-patch :-(

Yes, I'm little miss cross-patch grumpy pants today on account of discovering not all Kona Ash's have been created equal. Recently I decided to use some Cuzco charm packs and Kona Ash to make a new quilt (using a pattern called Pebble Grove which was in Fat Quarterly issue 12). Everything was going along swimmingly - I knew I had two different lots of the Kona stashed away in different places so I launched in to my new project. It was only when I had used up all of the first lot of Kona that I discovered, horror of horrors, the second lot was waaaaaay different in colour. I had to speak to myself in a placating tone. "Ok Megan, in retrospect it might have been good to check the fabric before you started, because somehow you've ended up with some dud fabric - but don't panic. Send away for some more and all will be well".

You can sense where this sorry tale is heading right?? The next batch of Kona Ash turned up today and is a different colour again. I'm trying to resign myself to the thought of having variations of tone in the background fabric (not very graciously so far).


These are the blocks I have made so far with the same batch of fabric. I need to make 16 of these blocks in total and then there are sashing strips in between - also in Ash but interspersed with the bigger squares of Cuzco. Has this happened to you? Or have I just stumbled upon a bit of fabric-y bad luck?

13 comments:

  1. How annoying and what a rip off! It's not like it's a Spotlight solid where you expect some variation because you are paying less than $10 a metre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience! But also decided to just use it all! Now that the quilt is quilted, it is barely noticeable! Some slight variation can add interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thing with my crappy spotlight whites on my Henry Fish quilt. Grrrrrrrrrr. I'm still not over it. Having said that, once it's quilted it's much harder to notice.
    Love the quilt. Now I want to get my Cuzco layer cake out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same thing with cream home spuns. Unfortunately it was just the sashing blocks and their regularity sticks out a little too much for me. If I had known, I would have spread the mismatched colours every where for a point of difference.

    Just think - irregularity, planned imperfections and love just add to the whole quilt in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! How frustrating! Have definitely had it happen with Spotty homespuns but I'd expect a little better from Kona!

    Hopefully you can make it work with a bit of Cuzco in the sashing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really pretty quilt - I think as the others said you will hardly notice it in the end :-) Very frustrating though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the different variations could be ok. Enjoy my dear

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Cuzco squares are so pretty that no-one will be looking at the background. As others have said, by the time the background is quilted, it will all blend together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. El quilt es tan bonito que no molesta la variación de telas!
    Silvana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cant even see the difference in the photo, and seriously you will never see it once it's been washed and dried and all crinkly. Love the look of it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's looking lovely so far, and I think the slight variation in the grey solid will actually be an added interest! Linda @ Kokaquilts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how annoying! Yes that would drive me crazy too, but like everyone says, once you mix the blocks up and quilt it, it won't be all that noticeable. It looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like these cross patching very much, thanks for the sharing.

    Beautiful Villas France

    ReplyDelete