Tuesday 15 May 2012

Southern Skies quilt finished

Here she is, all done!

I love the colours in this quilt against the grey background. I originally wondered if it might look a bit dark, but I think the lighter stars are doing good work. They look white, but they have a tiny pale grey pattern on them. It's a bit of an eclectic mix of fabrics, including a shot cotton binding and two William Morris prints. I just couldn't resist these little birds:

I started by quilting straight lines down the seams, then wondered what else I could do to liven it up. I didn't want to do lots of dense quilting because the fabric is so soft.  I eventually decided to do some diagonal lines which change directions. You can see the lines better in this picture:

12 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful! Your quilting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love the colors you used. I recognize Sandi Henderson's Secret Garden! The fussy cut birds are lovely. How big is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very appropriate title, it does look like that. I like the diagonal quilting changing direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a nice combination of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love it!! The fabrics together are gorgeous, you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is beautiful! I love your choice of color and I've definitly to tray a gray background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful and mellow - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really lovely! I agree - the white is doing nice work and what interesting visual interest overall....very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I can see why you couldn't resist those little birds, beautiful fabric. Southern Skies is the perfect name for this quilt and all the stars look like they are twinkling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan it's gorgeous! The quilting is great and I love the name :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how I missed seeing this before! It's gorgeous Megan! I think the straight line quilting is perfect. Beautiful quilt (oh and totally loving those little birds too!)

    ReplyDelete