I've tried a few ideas over the last couple of months from Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking II. I don't own the book, I borrowed it from the library a while ago. My latest experiment was with a re-cut pinwheel block that I remembered seeing in her book. Without the actual book to refer to, I had to work a few things out along the way. Firstly I had to decide whether I wanted the centre of the pinwheel in the centre of the block:
Then I had to redo my shonky quilt maths so that I was able to cut more economically - the first blocks were way too generous size-wise.
I put a few blocks together. I'm going to pin them up on the wall for a few days and see if I like this idea for a larger project I have in mind.